Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Littering

I had the fortune of visiting the US of A in 2004 ( lucky as in I got to go there when things were a bit better than today of course ). The first thing that struck me in the 1 hour drive from the airport to my Aunt's house was the 'Greenness' of the place.. It was like driving through a sea of lush greenery. [ I need to work on my vocabulary and learn good comparisons and stuff but you get the general picture ] Anyway the other thing about most of the places I visited in my month-long stay was the general cleanliness of it all. Roads, parking lots, public places were unbelievably clean ( everything is relative of course, I have been living in Kolkata all my life.. ) Places like Maumee, Ohio had roads which could have been sat on without your clothes getting dirty. It was sometime around that point where I made a vow never to litter, consciously or unconsciously anywhere and prevent everyone I knew from doing so. This has made me sort of unpopular when I am with my friends in certain situations. While eating a roll for example, I prevent everyone around me from throwing pieces of paper on to the street just because "everyone does so". I can proudly claim to have littered just once since 2004 ( I threw a toothpick in the side of the road in Park Street ). My next aim is to pluck up enough courage to tell random strangers off for littering, the guy who sat next to me in the bus ride home for example. After enjoying a good number of 'tele-bhaja's and muri, he promptly proceeded to wipe his hands using the paper 'thonga' and throw it out on the street when he was done. All I could muster was a disapproving glance at him *sigh*. 

So here's to anyone who reads this.. Stop throwing stuff on the roads, or anywhere for that matter. Stop your friends and family from doing so. Only two things can be gained.. a pretty satisfactory feeling and of course, cleaner surroundings.

As a footnote I would like to add that I bring home stuff if I can't find proper places to dispose of them. Frooti, Appy tetra paks, Monginis paper boxes, bus tickets, etc have all found their way to the waste-basket in my kitchen from various parts of Kolkata.

6 comments:

Smart Primate said...

Completely agree.
And thanks to you, I have started acting similarly (though not as rigidly like carrying your FROOTI home. Generally find a dustbin.)

I remember one occassion when someone reacted to your pestering by stating that the city is already so dirty. And your reply struck me as unique, "Why make it dirtier?"

Just hope everyone starts thinking similarly.

P.S. don't worry, you are not unpopular, if anything this is increased your stature... :-)

Xpressions said...

well said..
foget US..i have noticed delhi or chennai being cleaner than ours...

sm1 smway needs to begin..good!

Abhi said...

heyyyy gairik..u have a desperately serious message to convey..but ask urself a question..will you be able to convince kolkatans not to tackify roads by laying your views online??..if ur answer if emphasizingly on the affirmative..then its o.k..but somehow i feel a bolder step has to be taken in this regard..
But ur effort is worth appreciating..

Smart Primate said...

@ abhi
dude, he is just putting his stand through his blog...
if he has managed to change you through it, then he has done his job... :)

Unknown said...

Dude-its in our nature to litter.
I can't blame anyone,i am a part of it.Who cares about the waste-paper basket,when u r or r not in a hurry???
U can;t blame the bengalis only,its a problem of almost all indians,except a few like u
BOWS 2 u.

anirban said...

stop littering,spitting,urinating on the streets.....prevent people u see doing this,,,for a cleaner healthier surroundings....also to stop air pollution reduce private car usage and light off ur cigarettes,walk as much as u can....spread this notion....as a proper civilian does.