Friday, August 21, 2009

Robin Hood and the Miracle of Nottingham Castle

PJs are the order of the day. Well at least they were a while back, dunno about now. In college, I was the joke guy - I used to entertain people during our laboratory classes by narrating one poor joke after another, mostly ones I came across. I use the word 'was' because many people aren't really entertained by it anymore. That sort of helped me to get started making my own. If I may say so myself, I have been successful in creating some unbelievably nauseating and gut-wrenching such 'jokes' and simply love to see the reaction on the faces of the people who realize they just wasted two or three minutes of their life on THAT. Anyway this is perhaps the first real elaborate one I came up with. I think it has a better effect when told in person, but most of my friends already know this and the others I don't think I'll have an opportunity to narrate to in person. So, here goes...

[ NB : Please don't question the logic, as there isn't much of it. Also, you need some basic Bengali vocabulary, just basic. ]

Situation:

Robin Hood and his merry men are at war with the Sheriff of Nottingham. The war has lasted 2 days. On the dawn of the 3rd day Robin wakes up early and finds the castle in ruins. Another 12 hours of sustained attack will do it for them.

Suddenly he spots a sentry on a turret of the castle and thinks, well I'll take care of this SOB. He prepares his bow, finds that he's out of arrows! One of his merry men, who incidentally was Bengali, steps up and gives him an arrow. Robin thanks him but the Bengali guy stops him and tells him the speciality of the arrow he offered. He says "Robin, this is indeed a very special arrow. It is sacred, we Bengalis consider it a female unmarried arrow and hence it is holy, it's bound to do the trick." Robin goes "WTF?!" But thinks, this guy's from India, they have all these weird traditions and stuff so he doesn't make much of a deal.

He aims and shoots, and lo! he misses! The arrow misses the sentry by a whisker and falls inside the castle. An hour later, the castle is miraculously repaired, all their hard work undone. They lose the war.

How did this happen?

[Scroll down a bit]





Solution:

The arrow - tir (Bengali arrow)
But it wasn't a tir.. it was female, hence a tiri...
It was unmarried too, hence a miss-tiri.
So if you send a mistiri flying into a castle you can guess what will happen...

1 comment:

Rohit Khedia said...

rofl!!! excellent! considering the fact that you actually made this up!!